Maintaining an Active Lifestyle with a Folding Travel Mobility Scooter
At Betty & Bertie we know that an active lifestyle is essential for maintaining good health and well-being. For individuals with limited mobility using folding travel mobility scooters, it may feel more challenging to implement this into your life.
In this blog, we will explore tips and recommended exercises to help you stay active while using a folding travel mobility scooter as well as discuss fitness programs that can be enjoyed with these multifunctional scooters.
Consult with your healthcare provider before diving into any activities; it's important to discuss with a healthcare professional if it's suitable for you to ensure you don't harm yourself. They may give more personalised suggestions that tailor to your specific needs.
Stretching: it is always important to warm up your muscles before engaging in exercise to help prepare the body. This helps to avoid injuries and post-exercise aches. Focus on stretching your arms, legs, and back to increase flexibility and improve mobility. Click here to follow along with a fun seated exercise video.
- Arm Exercises: these can be done while seated on your folding travel mobility scooter or on a suitable chair. You can lift weights, use resistance bands, or even just do arm circles and stretches. These exercises can help strengthen your upper body. See this article on core strengthening and stability exercises for wheelchair and mobility scooter users here.
- Leg Exercises: To improve leg strength, practice exercises such as leg raises, ankle pumps and gentle leg stretches. These exercises can help maintain muscle tone and flexibility.
- Core Exercises: Engaging your core muscles is great for improving stability and balance. Activities such as seated abdominal crunches, seated twists, and pelvic tilts strengthen your core while seated on your mobility scooter. See these four core exercises here.
- Water Aerobics: This is an excellent option if you have accessibility to a pool as the buoyancy of water reduces the impact on your joints while providing resistance for a full-body workout.
- Chair Yoga: Look for local classes or online resources that offer chair yoga sessions. These gentle exercises can improve flexibility, strength, and relaxation.
- Tai Chi: This is a traditional Chinese martial art that has gained popularity worldwide as a form of exercise and mindfulness practice. One of the remarkable aspects of Tai Chi is its adaptability to various fitness levels and physical abilities. Seated Tai Chi classes have been developed to cater specifically to individuals with mobility challenges or those who prefer a seated position. Click here to watch a fantastic seated Tai Chai demonstration.
So it's more than possible to move your body in a range of ways, regardless of mobility limitations. By incorporating our recommended exercises, engaging in outdoor activities, and participating in suitable fitness programs, you can enjoy the benefits of regular physical activity while using your mobility scooter. Remember to listen to your body, consult with your healthcare provider, and find activities that bring you joy and improve your overall well-being.
At Betty & Bertie our whole ethos is to help everyone enjoy their life to the full, even if our mobility declines. We post lots of other information that is very useful to know when you already use a mobility scooter or if you are at the stage of considering getting one, which you can find here.
If you would like to receive a FREE booklet covering many aspects of enjoyable and healthy living as well as pointers on selecting the right mobility scooter for you, click HERE.